By Marisabel Bravo
After buying a crib, you may think you are done with that process, right? Wrong! Evaluating different crib mattresses is not easy, but I hope to make it easier for you. I like lists so here we go…
1. Don’t take a hand-me-down mattress- unless you know the owners were super clean.
2. Buy a vinyl covered mattress- much better at protecting the mattress from accidents.
3. Unfortunately, not all crib mattresses are the same size, so make sure and measure your crib and mattress so it tightly fits your crib.
4. Coil or Foam…bottom line…as long as the mattress is firm it shouldn’t matter! Which one to pick? Go with a reputable brand. Here are a list of good brands:
Kolcraft (otherwise known as Sealy)
5. If having another baby, do you need a new mattress? In my opinion, all depends on how well you kept that mattress from spills since you don’t want bacteria growing under your baby’s head. If you didn’t do a great job, then buy a new mattress.
6. Should you buy organic? Well, that’s the age old question. Should you buy organic food? In my opinion, if you can afford it, why not? Best option for that is the Naturepedic’s brand. But if you don’t want to break the bank, then just make sure the mattress has no dangerous chemical.
Well I hope that was useful. Now that you bought a lovely mattress, protect it, and please use a waterproof pad.
I recently had to buy a mattress and couldn’t decide on which one. Since we all want what is best for our baby, or in my case, babies, I used my own suggestions. I went with something in the middle, and I love it and I’m sure my baby will too!
Sealy Signature Prestige Posture Superior Firm crib mattress and toddler bed mattress
168 steel coils for firm support.
GREENGUARD Gold certified for a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
A premium reinforced waterproof cover.
Does not contain toxic fire retardants.
35 year warranty on workmanship and materials.
Measures 51.63 x 27.25 x 5.5 for a snug fit in USA standard size cribs and toddler beds.
Some information referenced in this post is from the book Baby Bargains. I highly recommend that book.
Tell us about your crib shopping experience.