By Marisabel Bravo
The Pregnancy Itch
No one ever told me the itch would be this bad. It is absolutely miserable. And then they say, ‘don’t scratch it.’ I totally understand that scratching actually makes the itching worse, but sometimes I just can’t hold it. I try to scratch softly so as not to break the skin. (The last thing you want is a skin infection.) So, when the itching became so bad, I began asking friends, former pregnant moms, and reading lots of articles. And after trying so many remedies these are things that worked for me:
1. Definitely putting cold compresses on a really itchy spot will improve the itch, but who wants to put cold compresses on their belly? Not me!
2. So, they say avoid hot showers because it can dry your skin. In my case, this is true. However, what pregnant lady wants to take a cold shower since she is already pretty miserable? So I cheat the system and first take a warm shower then when I’m done I quickly switch to cold for about 1 minute. This has helped me!
3. Similar to #2 avoid going out in the heat.
4. It is important to choose a body wash with no fragrance. What has helped me tremendously is Aveeno Stress Relief Body Wash or Aveeno Positively Nourishing Hydrating Body Wash. These two body washes immediately alleviate the non-stop itch. You can also try (not featured here) Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment. This is a natural oatmeal product that soothes dry, itchy, irritated skin.
5. Lastly, a great product to help improve itch is Aveeno’s Skin Relief 24 Hour Moisturizing Lotion. This stuff is magical. I highly recommend it.
Remember to consult with your OB/GYN for any itching to make sure their is no serious condition.
We hope you like our review. Let us know what helps your itchy skin.+